Home
beom kim
Diploma 8
Coexistence of multiple scales of production in Detroit

In many large cities, urban and rural territory is distinctly separated. Agriculture and cities are distant from one another.  Also the global market helps only large-scale companies to have a monopoly on the territory, while small-scale companies are crowded out of the market as a result. Throughout this year, I intend to suggest a way in which different scale of organisations can exist and cooperate in the city. 

Q.  In the context of global market, how can the multiple scales of production coexist within the same context?

Detroit¡¯s population will only continue to fall if the city can't improve its basic service delivery.
My intention is to give more opportunities to people and also city of Detroit with different scales of production and consumption unit. 
Half of production can work and be consumed by people in the city and the other half can work with Walmart with large scale.

My project is talking about how the massive cooperation can be involved in one city and how the architecture can be related to the cooperation.Schematic plan: all different scales of food system exist in one area.

When you look at the condition of the city, it has good networks and infrastructure.
But the city has low levels of food production. So my project is to bring back the production into city to make cooperation between local farm and global market.
How can I increase food production in Detroit?

When I drove around the city, I saw many full-sized plots with one and two or three houses on them. Many are burned out and abandoned. So I am going to use the existing plots as my project element to make production area.With farming system there are many different systems are related in different scales. So with multiple scale of production, the main architectural task is to connect all the different scales of production and other programs in the city and to work as one large system.   System map: circulation, water systemCoexistence of multiple scales of production in Detroit
Coexistence of multiple scales of production in DetroitCoexistence of multiple scales of production in DetroitCoexistence of multiple scales of production in DetroitCoexistence of multiple scales of production in Detroit

Section